Monthly Archives: May 2022
As bizarre as it may sound, each spring we clean our home with a leaf blower! Yes, the garden tool. At first, I thought my husband Roger was crazy, but he was right. It’s messy, but effective. We live in a log home in the woods; its dusty and the logs are hard to clean. Through the years, we’ve put into place quite a process. First, cover the furniture, especially the small items that are hard to dust. Then, with goggles and a mask, start at the highest point, in the loft and go to town! What a mess!!! Dust and debris fly down and around and out the doors. Then, we leave for a few hours let the dust settle. When we return, the real cleanup begins. Shake out the sheets, vacuum and wipe down all the surfaces. Then vacuum and wipe down the surfaces again. And again. Then the windows. It takes time but it feels so great! Clean, clear, and crisp.
We finished this task just a few days ago, and I can’t seem to get the phrase, ‘clearing the cobwebs’ off my mind. Webster defines this phrase as follows: to remove a feeling of confusion, vagueness, or lack of clarity about something (from one’s mind).
With all that is going on in the world around us, it is easy to ignore the gathering dust bunnies and cobwebs in our heads. Perhaps it is time for each of us to clean our emotional and mental houses. For those who clean up regularly, it may simply take nice walk, a bit of yoga or meditation. For others some, we’ll need to get the leaf blower out!
Here are a few suggestions that I have found helpful when I know it is time for a refresh.
- Dig in the dirt – plant a garden.
- Spend time near water: the beach, lake, pond, river, streams. There is something healing about water.
- Go barefoot outside, in the grass or sand. I love the how the energy from the earth flows and strengthens.
- Create a ‘energy up’ playlist. I created a favorite file of songs that ONLY create good memories, positive thoughts, and uplifting messages. I listen often.
- Important to write it out. Free your mind of negative thoughts, bad experiences, and resentment towards others. It is freeing and great way to make space for joyful new things.
And finally, de-junk, clean and organize your physical space. It may take some time, but well worth it to make the effort to both literally and figuratively – clear the cobwebs!